Dec 01, 2021
PROGRAM CODE: 01063
PROGRAM DIRECTORS: Dr. Peter Fiume
The curriculum presented here applies to students who started the major in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. If you enrolled as a matriculant prior to that, please see the College Catalog for the year you started the major as a matriculant for the curriculum requirements that apply to you.
Consultation with the Program Advisor is required.
Upon successful completion of the Early Childhood Education/Child Care degree program requirements, graduates will:
- understand various theories of teaching, learning, and development
- identify age-appropriate curriculum goals and recognize methods used to achieve those goals
- effectively design and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences in all content areas
- engage in self-reflection to evaluate performance and progress
- understand the social, economic, political, and cultural issues that impact families and schooling
- foster a positive regard for individual students and their families regardless of differences
- use critical thinking and analysis when speaking, reading, and writing
Successful completion of CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing, and ACCUPLACER CUNY Assessment Test in Math with passing examination
scores, unless otherwise exempt, or developmental courses may be required.
Civic Engagement Experiences:
Two (2) Civic Engagement experiences satisfied by Civic Engagement Certified or Civic Engagement Component courses or approved outside
Writing Intensive Requirement:
One (1) Writing Intensive course in any discipline is required. Participation in a Learning Community that includes ENG 1200 or ENG 2400 also satisfies this requirement.
Required Core (4 Courses, 12 Credits):
When Required Core courses are specified for a category, they are strongly suggested and/or required for the major
* Note: You may elect to take a math or science course that is 4 credits or more. TAP counts 3 credits towards the requirements and the 4th credit as an elective.
Flexible Core (6 Courses, 18 Credits):
When Flexible Core courses are specified for a category, they are strongly suggested and/or required for the major
One course from each Group A to E. and one (1) additional course from any group
No more than two courses can be selected from the same discipline
A. World Cultures and Global Issues Designated Course
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity Designated Course
C. Creative Expression Designated Course
D. Individual and Society Designated Course
E. Scientific World Designated Course
Note: You may elect to take a math or science course that is 4 credits or more. TAP counts 3 credits towards the requirements and the 4th credit as an elective.
Major Requirements (9 Courses, 24 Credits):
Concentrations (2 Courses, 6 Credits):
Select one (1) of the following concentrations:
Early Childhood Education/Childcare (2 Courses, 6 Credits):
Infancy/Toddler Development (2 Courses, 6 Credits):
0 to 3 credits sufficient to meet required total of 60 credits