Jun 17, 2019
PROGRAM CODE: 01039
The curriculum presented here applies to students who started the major in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. If you enrolled as a matriculant prior to that, please see the College Catalog for the year you started the major as a matriculant for the curriculum requirements that apply to you.
Consultation with the Program Advisor is required.
Upon successful completion of the Biology degree program requirements, graduates will:
- identify and apply the methods and process of life science
- demonstrate proficiency in quantitative reasoning as it relates to life science data
- demonstrate an understanding of evolution
- demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between structure and function
- demonstrate an understanding of genetics
- demonstrate an understanding of the pathways of energy and matter that maintain a particular environment
- demonstrate an understanding of the levels of biological organization and the interactions among these levels
Successful completion of CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing, and ACCUPLACER CUNY Assessment Test in Math with passing examination
scores, unless otherwise exempt, or developmental courses may be required.
Civic Engagement Experiences:
Two (2) Civic Engagement experiences satisfied by Civic Engagement Certified or Civic Engagement Component courses or approved outside
Writing Intensive Requirement:
One (1) Writing Intensive course in any discipline is required. Participation in a Learning Community that includes ENG 1200 or ENG 2400 also satisfies this requirement.
Required Core (4 Courses, 14 Credits):
When Required Core Courses are specified for a category, they are required for the major
* This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
Flexible Core (6 Courses, 20 Credits):
When Flexible Core Courses are specified for a category, they are required for the major
One course from each Group A to (Group E is satisfied by the courses shown.)
No more than two courses can be selected from the same discipline
A. World Cultures and Global Issues Designated Course
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity Designated Course
C. Creative Expression Designated Course
D. Individual and Society Designated Course
E. Scientific World Designated Course
This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
Major Requirements (2 Courses, 7 to 8 Credits):
Concentrations (2 Courses, 8 Credits):
Select one (1) of the following concentrations:
Biology Transfer (2 Courses, 8 Credits):
Select two (2) of the following Biology Laboratory courses:
Allied Health Transfer (2 Courses, 8 Credits):
10 to 11 credits sufficient to meet required total of 60 credits
Allied Health Transfer Option, Suggested Elective:
Transfer to a Physician Assistant Program, Suggested Elective: