Dec 01, 2021
PROGRAM CODE: 86081
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Prof. John Nappo
The curriculum presented here applies to students who started the major in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. If you enrolled as a matriculant prior to that, please see the College Catalog for the year you started the major as a matriculant for the curriculum requirements that apply to you.
Consultation with the Program Advisor is required.
Upon successful completion of the Maritime Technology degree program requirements, graduates will:
- understand traditional and modern seamanship skills as it relates to different propulsion systems
- understand the topic of coastal piloting and navigation and the proper installation of electronic equipment
- demonstrate safe operation and maintenance of vessels
- demonstrate prevention and safety response in first aid, personal survival, social responsibility and fire prevention
- understand operational theory of internal combustion engines and their use in power generation and propulsion systems
- understand hydraulic systems and their application to vessel steering, winching equipment and vessel trim systems
Successful completion of CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing, and ACCUPLACER CUNY Assessment Test in Math with passing examination
scores, unless otherwise exempt, or developmental courses may be required.
Civic Engagement Experiences:
Two (2) Civic Engagement experiences satisfied by Civic Engagement Certified or Civic Engagement Component courses or approved outside
Writing Intensive Requirement:
One (1) Writing Intensive course in any discipline is required. Participation in a Learning Community that includes ENG 1200 or ENG 2400 also satisfies this requirement.
Required Core (4 Courses, 13 Credits):
When Required Core Courses are specified for a category, they are required for the major
* This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
Flexible Core (3 Courses, 9 Credits):
When Flexible Core Courses are specified for a category, they are required for the major
Nine (9) credits with one (1) course from three (3) Groups A to E. For Marine Technician Option Group E is satisfied by Course Shown
Each Course Must be in a Different Discipline
A. World Cultures and Global Issues Designated Course
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity Designated Course
C. Creative Expression Designated Course
D. Individual and Society Designated Course
E. Scientific World Designated Course:
This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
For Marine Technician Option:
Major Requirements (12 to 13 Courses, 30 to 34 Credits):
Plus for Marine Technician Option:
4 to 8 credits sufficient to meet required total of 60 credits