Nov 14, 2019
PROGRAM CODE: 01055
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Dr. David Salb
DEPARTMENT: MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
The curriculum presented here applies to students who started the major in Fall 2019 or Spring 2020. If you enrolled as a matriculant prior to that, please see the College Catalog for the year you started the major as a matriculant for the curriculum requirements that apply to you.
Consultation with the Program Advisor is required.
Upon successful completion of the Computer Information Systems degree program requirements, graduates will:
- analyze, design, implement, and understand computer based solutions and apply them to real world applications
- demonstrate the ability to maintain current knowledge of emerging and changing information technology
- demonstrate proficiency in programming concepts and techniques by creating logically sound and efficient algorithms
- demonstrate the ability to analyze and troubleshoot computer problems and identify appropriate solutions
- demonstrate the ability to identify computer techniques, skills, and tools to meet end user needs
- comprehend the structure of a computing system, design of its basic components, and interaction of hardware and software
Successful completion of CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing, and ACCUPLACER CUNY Assessment Test in Math with passing examination
scores, unless otherwise exempt, or developmental courses may be required.
Civic Engagement Experiences:
One (1) Civic Engagement experience satisfied by Civic Engagement Certified or Civic Engagement Component course or approved outside activity.
Writing Intensive Requirement:
One (1) Writing Intensive course in any discipline is required. Participation in a Learning Community that includes ENG 1200 or ENG 2400 also satisfies this requirement.
Required Core (4 Courses, 13 Credits):
When Required Core Courses are specified for a category, they are required for the major
* This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
Flexible Core (3 Courses, 9 Credits):
When Flexible Core courses are specified for a category, they are strongly suggested and/or required for the major
Select one (1) course from three (3) Groups A to E for a total of nine (9) credits.
Each Course Must be in a Different Discipline
A. World Cultures and Global Issues Designated Course
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity Designated Course
C. Creative Expression Designated Course
D. Individual and Society Designated Course
E. Scientific World Designated Course
This program has a waiver to require particular courses in the Common Core, otherwise more than the minimum credits for the degree may be necessary.
Major Requirements (11 Courses, 37 to 39 Credits):
Select three (3) courses from the following (12 to 13 credits)
0 to 1 credit sufficient to meet required total of 60 credits